H&UD Department is one of the two partner departments in Odisha for the project. It is responsible for ‘’ensuring proper and planned growth of cities and towns with adequate infrastructure, amenities and services provided to the citizens through the Urban Local Bodies and parastatal agencies’’. Some major functions of the Department extracted from the official website of Government of Odisha are listed below.
- Implementation of urban governance reforms (Eg: AMRUT, 14th Finance Commission, etc).
- Formulation & implementation of enabling policies/guidelines.
- Implementation of Comprehensive Development Plans (CrDP), City Development Plans (CDP) & Master Plans (MP).
- Capacity development of existing personnel & elected representatives.
- Creation of a dedicated Urban Cadre.
- Benchmarking urban services (Service Level Benchmarking-SLB).
- Designing & implementation of innovative pilot projects in selective areas with community participation.
- Implementation of replicable models/good practices.
The H&UD Department functions through the following three Directorates:
- Directorate of Municipal Administration,
- Directorate of Town Planning, and
- Public Health Engineering Organization (Urban).
DTP, H&UD Department, Odisha, ‘’the nodal agency for all urban planning related activities in the state’’, is also designated as the nodal department for the project. The Directorate is headed by the Chief Town Planner and Director, and it performs the following important functions, listed below from the official website of Government of Odisha:
- Preparation of master plans and approval of the same on behalf of special planning authorities.
- Preparation of project reports for the IDSMT and monitoring of the schemes.
- Technical guidance to Government as well as planning authorities with respect to regulation of plan proposals.