Government of Tamil Nadu (GoTN) enacted Town & Country Planning Act (T&CP Act), 1971. It functions under the control of Housing & Urban Development Department (H&UD) of the Secretariat. The department has its jurisdiction over the entire Tamil Nadu except Chennai Metropolitan Development Area (CMDA).
Aims/goals of the Directorate:
- To provide effective land development plan with adequate infrastructural facilities for conducive living environment required for the society. This is achieved by integrating the physical, economic as well as social planning for the diverse conditions viz., physiography, pattern of urbanisation, traditional practices, socio-economic equalities etc., prevalent in different parts of the towns and villages.
- To achieve socio-economic development of the state through systematic development and regulation of growth of urban and rural areas of the State through Master Plans/New Town Development Plans and Detailed Development Plans.
- To arrest the rural migration to cities and towns by rural-urban integration through Regional Plans.
- To preserve the historical, heritage and tourism important places in the state.
- To protect environmentally and ecologically sensitive areas of the state.