Orientation Programme on “Integration of Environmental Aspects into Planning of New Industrial Parks”
May 4-6, 2015; Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
A three-day workshop on “Integration of Environmental Aspects into Planning of New Industrial Parks” was organised on May 04-06, 2015 at the Dolphin Hotel, Vishakhapatnam by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in cooperation with the Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (APIIC). The programme was attended by 23 officials of APIIC along with 3 experts from GIZ.
The programme was organised in reponse to APIIC’s keenness to sustainable industrial development by incorporating “Green” concepts into its new industrial parks and special economic zones during their planning stages and in retrofitting of the old industrial parks.
The orientation programme was divided into three days. The key contents of each day were:
- Day 1: Siting and site master planning
- Day 2: Infrastructure and services
- Day 3: Technologies and tools
The programme had a good mix of theory and practice. The participants were given an overview of siting aspects, rating systems and planning of basic, technical, social and environmental infrastructure along with case examples. The costing aspects of plots in the industrial parks, approaches for developing infrastructure and services through appropriate business models and management models and calculations of area requirements were covered. A session was exclusively based on climate change adaptation aspects. The industrial parks those are prone to disaster risks like flooding, drought and cyclone were identified so that pilot measures could be taken up. The practical sessions included:
- Field visits to an industrial area to understand the site suitability aspects and the adequacy of the site master planning undertaken in the past.
- Role play of APIIC and investors to understand the requirements of the investors and the provisions to be made in the industrial parks by APIIC to attract investors.
- Group work on the key themes of the orientation programme.
- Identifying the areas of improved functioning in day to day work.
- Identifying areas of organisational development of APIIC.