Workshop for “Preparation of Site Master Plan for Retrofitting of GIDC Industrial Estate at Vapi”
Oct 13-14, 2014; Vapi
A 2-day workshop was conducted for preparation of the Site Master Plan for Retrofitting of GIDC Industrial Estate at Vapi on 13-14 October 2014 for the representatives of Vapi Industries Association (VIA) and their consultants at the Centre of Excellence of VIA. The programme was attended by 18 representatives of VIA, 1 site master planning consultant and 2 local architects. Programme schedule is attached.
Mr Thomas Kraubitz, Senior Consultant, Buro Happold Cities, was the principal resource person for this programme. He is a strategic planner, urbanist and architect with strong experience in regional and city planning, international development, urban and building design. He has been actively involved initiating the German Sustainable Building Council (DGNB) and is leading the economics section for the Industrial Districts Scheme. He is a LEED GA (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design -Green Associate) and DGNB Auditor.
The workshop focused on:
- Elaboration on definition and criteria of a Green Industrial Park with case studies
- DGNB rating system and its relevance for industrial parks in India
- Basic infrastructure like roads and mobility
- Environmental infrastructure- storm water management, waste water management, solid waste management.
- Technical infrastructure- integration of renewable energy in planning, Information and telecommunication infrastructure
- Social infrastructure and its linkages to commercial infrastructure, safety, urban design etc.Methodology and timeline for retrofitting of GIDC Industrial Estate at Vapi
- Assessment of the existing Site Master Plan of GIDC Industrial Estate at Vapi as per DGNB rating system taking into consideration provisions such as the basic, technical, environmental and social infrastructure.
The methodology of the workshop was a mix of interactive presentations. An interactive hands-on exercise was also conducted in which the participants presented their ideas about Industrial Estate at Vapi for its retrofitting.
As a result of the workshop, the preliminary assessment of the Site Master Plan showed that the GIDC Industrial Estate at Vapi has scope for retrofitting through re- planning of the site and certain industry level operational interventions. It was also concluded that the existing site master plan of the industrial estate covered certain aspects of the DGNB rating system and many more aspects can be achieved through interventions at planning and operational level. After preparing a revised Site Master Plan for retrofitting of the industrial estate, a formal process of DGNB certification could be initiated targeting bronze or higher rating.