Cricket goes Green in Karnataka
Anil Kumble, President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA), on January 17, 2013, signed an Agreement of Cooperation (AoC) with GIZ’s Indo-German Environment Partnership (IGEP) programme and Indo-German Energy Programme (IGEN) to promote the ‘Concept of Green Wicket’ in the coming two years.
Dr Dieter Mutz, Director of IGEP signed the AoC on behalf of GIZ-IGEP and -IGEN. Under this AoC, the following activities will be considered:
- Showcase cricket as a sport that is dedicated to sustainable development – Implementation of a state and nationwide campaign called Green Wicket
- Lower the carbon footprint of the M. Chinnaswamy cricket stadium in Bangalore by installing PV system on rooftop
- Promote water conservation by installing rooftop rainwater harvesting
- Recycle wastewater and solid waste generated in the stadium
- Position KSCA and GIZ as pro-active partners to contribute to the implementation of the State Action Plan on Climate Change (SAPCC) in Karnataka.
- Promote Bangalore as a solar / green city
This intervention will not only showcase eco-friendly sport but also the collaboration between two GIZ’s programmes, IGEN and IGEP.